Despite the southeastern United States’ reputation for steamy weather, it’s actually a great destination for all types of runners. The Southeast has a lot to offer: historic sites to visit, classic soul food, and that famous southern hospitality await you along with a variety of fantastic racing opportunities. Athletes of all levels can find an event that’s just right for them. Custom Training Plans can help you get ready for massive events like the Peachtree Road Race or a local 10K with a running training plan that’s custom-tailored to your needs. Start your planning here with this list of some of the Southeast’s most exciting events.
Georgia Running Races
- Peachtree Road Race
- The Peachtree Road Race is the biggest road race in the U.S. More than 60,000 athletes line up on the 4th of July each year. The event attracts racers from all over the United States and beyond. This 10K kicks off with a gradual rise over the first mile of the course followed by a comfortable stretch of downhill.
It’s important for runners to conserve energy for the second half, which begins with Cardiac Hill, a famously steep half-mile climb. Once runners have crested Cardiac Hill, the party isn’t over. Thousands of cheering spectators will urge them on as they tackle a course that rolls up and down hills until the finish.
- Rock ‘n’ Roll Savannah Marathon
- As part of the Rock n’ Roll race series, this well-organized event is run in November, so the weather is much more welcoming than that of races held in mid-summer. This event offers three different distances: the marathon, a half marathon, and a 5K. Runners follow a route that winds through Savannah’s most beautiful streets. It’s a great race for those who are new to competitive running, as the course is largely flat — and there’s a great party waiting for you at the end!
Florida Running Races
- Walt Disney World Race Series
- Walt Disney World plays host to a wide range of running events throughout the year, including the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend, Disney’s Princess Half Marathon, the Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend, and the Star Wars Rival Run. Disney fans of all ages can enjoy these family-friendly events, with races just for kids and plenty of interaction with characters. You might even get the chance to step off the course and onto a ride mid-race.
- Gasparilla Classic
- The Gasparilla Classic Race Weekend offers something for everyone: 5K, 8K, 15K, and half marathon distances. The event also offers challenges for runners who’d like to rack up the miles by participating in multiple races. It’s worth the effort, though: the racecourse is delightfully flat and offers beautiful sunrise views. While it’s run in February, athletes should prepare for hot weather and the possibility of crosswinds.
South Carolina Running Races
- Cooper River Bridge Run
- The Cooper River Bridge Run is one of the United States’ largest 10K races. This springtime race leads runners through the streets of Mount Pleasant before crossing the run’s most memorable feature: the Arthur Ravenel, Jr. Bridge. This 2.5 mile-span has an elevation gain of 200 feet, so it’s nothing to sneeze at. However, once you’ve reached the top, you’ll be on easy street the rest of the way until the finish — that is, if you know how to pace yourself. The last two miles of the race are run through the spectator-lined streets of Charleston.
- Myrtle Beach Marathon
- The Myrtle Beach Marathon is run in early May, and it’s a course that’s especially popular for runners who are looking for a Boston Marathon Qualification-worthy time. It begins with a straight stretch down Ocean Boulevard, giving runners a tour of the heart of Myrtle Beach before sending athletes along the ocean for much of the race. The marathon’s course is one of the flattest in the country, and the conditions on race day are typically picture-perfect.
Whether you’re looking for a family-friendly event or a massive 10K, you can find it in the Southeast. Custom Training Plans can help you get ready with a running training plan that’s tailored to your distance or even a specific race. Each of our race-specific and distance-based plans can be customized to fit your current fitness, goals, and more to ensure that you get the most out of your training. Experience the difference that a professionally designed, personalized program can make on your performance with a Southeast running race training plan from Custom Training Plans.